Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nano Reef on the Cheap

ECAS member

Also I decided on sand rather than crushed coral for a few reasons, mostly about how sensitive smaller tanks are to swings in bio filter, so I'm keeping the crushed coral for a larger project down the road. So far because of things that came with other tanks I bought in the past, I think my total budget has been under $50 out of pocket.

ECAS member

Not a super clear picture, but this is the base of the Corona bottle lamp that I am using for the skimmer. It has an adjustable output plus a lamp socket. The lamp socket may come in handy if I make some sort of algae scrubber in the future, and the adjustable output will help dial in that skimmer to exactly where I need it to be. It also has a check valve,
    so that's a bonus. Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I know it's still early but I couldn't resist checking, zero ammonia. I'll wait a few more days and keep with the shrimp and ghost feeding to watch for the spike. I have a Marine Lab master kit but it was out of the ammonia test, so I dropped by 1 Fish 2 Fish and picked up a Red Sea ammonia kit.

ECAS member

Got some mature live rock in the tank today, I have at least one hitchhiker, a 3 inch purple bristleworm. I can't take a good shot with my camera, looks like a few snails too and they said I'm likely to get some starfish. I don't expect much to survive the inevitable ammonia spike but until then it's neat yet creepy to look at.

ECAS member

Finally getting some ammonia, it spiked to .8 today. I also have mini brittle starfish and now today some blue copepods are swimming around. I'm thinking of trying to keep the ammonia down with partial water changes to give thislife a fighting chance.

ECAS member

Here's a peculiarity with the layout of my home. The washer and dryer had at some point been in what is now a family room, before I purchased it. Rather than properly finish and hide the plumbing in the wall it wasall left hanging out. What does this mean? Easy water changes! I can stir up and sediment to get it suspended in the water, since the canister has no media in it the waste can go straight down the drain. It takes seconds to halt the water flow, disconnect the difuser and place the hose in the drain. I wish my orher tank was so easy!
    Click here to enlarge
    Also, I finally got my wood air stone so my skimmer is siliconed and complete.
    Click here to enlarge

My water parameters have stabilised so I added a small group of hermits but I'll be returning them tomorrow. 1 Fish advertised them as blue legged hermits but what they have are thinstriped hermits, which get to an unsuitable size for a 20g tank. They were all hidden and I was looking at other fish when they were getting collected for me so I didn't notice until I got home.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge
    And finally the skimmer installed and adjusted. I returned those thinstripes and replaced them with scarlets, they are less active but will stay a more appropriate size for my tank. It looks like most of the bristled nopeworms have died if not all of them in tbe initial ammonia spike but plenty of brittle starfish have toughed it out. I'm not sure of the copepod situation though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12