Thread: Death of a Pleco

ECAS member

Death of a Pleco

I awoke this morning to find the common plecostomus in my community tank floating on the water, quite mort. He was exactly seven inches long and the oldest fish in the tank, at 3+, but still very young for a pleco, or so sayeth the internet. As usual, there are no signs of disease or ill health on the body and no signalling change in behaviour, except perhaps less vigour cleaning the tank lately.

This is disappointing especially because for a long time I have suffered Sudden Fish Death Syndrome in my community tank. When I mentioned it on this board a few months ago I received a stern scolding about not doing frequent water changes. I have been pretty religious about weekly 25% changes since then, and the mortality rate in the tank, until today, had dropped to zero. Actually below zero since a couple of the tetras decided to reproduce. But now Mr. Pleco has gone to his maker. Or more exactly, he has gone to the soil beneath one of my grape vines. I liked that fish.

And now who will keep the aquarium clean?

Club Supporter

So sorry to hear that, quite unusual that grown plecos just die like that.
    You should get a new one, amazing fishes.
    They usually doesn't do much, but when they do, it's usually spectacular.
    We have 2 around 11-12inch size, and when they decide to move, all the other fishes hides...

ECAS member

some times fish die, just like people they have medical issues and die. key is clean water and most fish do fine, Pleco's are a dirty fish, they produce alot of waste and for the amount they "clean" a tank they make more of a mess with waste. Common pleco's grow to be up to 15-20 inches or more, and really aren't well suited for a average tank. Small pleco's are better suited or otto's or flying foxes etc. With a large pleco water changes are even more a issue, sorry your fish passed away but I'd stay away from getting another common pleco.

ECAS member

Too bed for the pleco.I just read that old post you mentioned.I did not see where anyone gave you a stern scolding.It may have looked like you were asking for help and the info given was pretty good.Glad to here that the water changes improved your set up.Nothing like lots of fresh water for a healthy environment.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Sorry to hear about your pleco.... I had one mysteriously die on me last year. I didn't notice anything was wrong when I couldn't see it as I had many hiding places in the tank for it. And then one day I was cleaning the tank and found bones. :(
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rk1000 Click here to enlarge
    some times fish die, just like people they have medical issues and die. key is clean water and most fish do fine, Pleco's are a dirty fish, they produce alot of waste and for the amount they "clean" a tank they make more of a mess with waste. Common pleco's grow to be up to 15-20 inches or more, and really aren't well suited for a average tank. Small pleco's are better suited or otto's or flying foxes etc. With a large pleco water changes are even more a issue, sorry your fish passed away but I'd stay away from getting another common pleco.
    I agree with a few points, yes they need a big tank, 99g or more, and they are indeed "dirty" fishes.
    But that's no reason not to get a new one if you like them.
    They are an extremely hardy species, they live long(+20years), and have more personality than most fishes.
    It's just a question of you understanding all of the above, then you'll have an amazing fish for a long time.

ECAS member

If you have a smaller tank, bristlenose plecos are ideal. They only grow to about 4 to 6 inches and are quite passive. They are excellent community fish and live to be about 20 yrs of age similar to common plecos.

ECAS member

Hi. Sorry to read about the loss of your pleco. I still feed mine sinking wafers and don't rely on them just to clean the algea. I'm very, very sorry. It must have just been his time. take care.