Thread: Finnex

Official ECAS vendor

Finnex

So I just wanted to post a recent experience i had with Finnex. I bought a 300w Titanium heater with temp controller. I noticed that it wasn't able to maintain a proper temp, my tank is a 75 gal. It would stay at around 78f when set to 84. Then i had it set to 86 and it had trouble holding temp. I also am using a seperate temp controller to compare temps. So i contacted Finnex and they asked for a reciept for the warranty. I gave it to them. Then they said the heater needs to be calibrated, which makes sense so i took the controller apart and tried to calibrate it following their instructions but the heater wouldn't come on at all. The light wouldn't come on either. So clearly its a faulty heater. Long story short, after a few emails back and forth they told me the warranty doesn't cover shipping. They didn't want the heater back but to ship a new one would cost more than the heater itself. So basically i'm left with a dud heater and need to buy a new one. They were not gonna pay for shipping. Same thing with the place i bought it from online. They wanted shipping paid, which i understand thats their policy but hardly worth doing. So be careful of what the warranty policies are when you buy stuff, I guess there is nothing you can do but I think the company should issue a replacement free of charge if they stand behind their products.
    125 gal Salt

Owner

That sucks :( Did you happen to purchase it on a credit card? Sometimes they might help to cover stuff like that!

I know someone who had issues with an eheim heater, and they covered the replacement and shipping no problem....might be a brand worth considering if you do need to purchase new.

Still not a cool situation overall, the warranty is pretty much useless.....they probably do it so the customer will likley tell them not to bother :(
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

Club Supporter

What great customer service :/ You would think Finnex would want to satisfy the customer. Even if they sold you a bad product, and paid for the shipping they would still be wasting your time. Too bad it wasn't carried by amazon..
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

Official ECAS vendor

I know its stupid. Oh well. Ive had Finnex stuff before with no issues so i figured I would try the heaters. You would think they would just send out another one for good customer service. And to show they stand by the product. A $50 heater is gonna prevent me from thinking about another Finnex product. No i didn't use a credit card, never even thought of that!
    125 gal Salt

Club Supporter

FWIW, I buy some stuff using my USD Visa Card on Amazon.com because the prices on Amazon.ca are outrageous by comparison. I know this is a bit off-topic, but even with the conversion rate, you can usually beat Amazon.ca by a country mile by using the US site instead. I mention this because Amazon themselves fulfills and ships the order and they honour returns and warranty and then deal with the supplier themselves.

Now, insofar as price differences, I use the Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus LED lights for my tanks (and love them). My plants thrive with them. But look at the difference between the 36" models:

Comparison of the exact same product:
    Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller

Amazon.com: (Shipped and fulfilled by Amazon Global)
    Price: $104.95 + $37.95 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Canada
    Total: $142.90 USD
    Conversion: 1.25 (example)
    Total Price to your door in Canadian Dollars: $178.63

Amazon.ca
    (Shipped and Fulfilled by 3rd Party Sellers)
    Price: $343.45
    GST: 15%
    Shipping: $6.59
    Total price to your door: $401.55

More than double the price to use Amazon.ca for a lot of things electronic. Just wanted to mention that for anyone interested and thought of it because of Finnex mentioned in this thread.