Thread: Hey all

Club Supporter

Hey all

I'm so glad I found my way here! My name is Gwen and I'm addicted to my planted tanks.

I live just outside Fredericton, NB in a small spec on the map called Rusagonis (pronounced nothing like it looks).

I used to keep tanks off and on since I was young, but was never able to keep them going very long. Last Spring I picked up a used 55 gallon and haven't looked back. I now also have a 9 g Fluval Flex (LOVE IT!!!).

I've two teens, an almost 4 year old, an immenseless patient husband (hereby called hubs), and way too many pets for this MS full-time working nut.

Both my tanks are freshwater, though someday I'd love to delve into saltwater, but not now.

My 55 g is overstocked on purpose, but it's also heavily planted. A bit of a breakdown - cabomba, water wisteria, Amazon sword, java fern, with some others on order; for fish there are several tetras - 18 glowlight, 6 neon, 6 black neon, 6 red eye, 6 rosy, 9 black long fin, 9 gold skirt, 4 corys - 1 albino, 1 peppered, 1 panda, and 1 green, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 male betta (deep cobalt blue - so pretty), 1 male dwarf gourami, some ghost shrimp, and 6 otos. I'll be adding 6 assassin snails soon as my tank is overrun with pond snails (long story - I've done everything to get rid of them and they are Satan spawn). It has a Penn-plax Cascade 700 cannister filter and a 610 internal cannister running. I'm putting an LED light over it tonight (just arrived!) and I have perfecto glass canopy on it.

My 9 g will eventually be mostly shrimp. Right now it has anubia, cabomba, water wisteria, small java fern and some sad looking Christmas moss with other plants on the way; there's 1 male betta in there (a beautiful creamy orange with iridescent spots), a large mystery snail (moved over from the 55 g as I don't want him getting killed by the assassins), and 3 ghost shrimp. I love the flex - the filtering system is SO easy to clean and I love how everything is hidden behind a little wall :) and the lights.

I also have a bearded dragon, 2 budgies, 2 cats, and an 85 lbs goofball rottie/shep dog. So yeah - my house is a mad house LOL! I've been searching for someplace to buy Caridina/Neocaridina shrimp that won't cost me a fortune for either the shrimp or shipping (the shipping usually doubles the cost, ugh). Where I am, I am limited literally to ghost shrimp and although cute, I would love more variety!

Anyways - I've written a novel! I'm looking forward to learning more!

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Welcome to the forum.
    I live in Fredericton for 4 years when I was doing my degree.

Club Supporter

I'm sorry...just kidding - Fredericton can be pretty dull though, especially when university age. Did you go to UNB or STU?
    “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

I went to UNBSJ and UNBF, then NBCCSJ.
    I liked Fredericton. I was a fish manager at a small mom and pop pet store which was great.

Club Supporter

Yes, that would be nice! I don't even know if we have any small shops here anymore. There used to be one Northside, but it closed. The only place with any kind of variety is Petsmart (that's sad).
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

Nope. The store closed several years ago

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Club Supporter

:( No surprise unfortunately. I wish I had the funds to open a decent shop, but unfortunately I don't (but if I win the 649 it'll happen LOL).
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

ECAS member

Hi I found a link online that breeds and ships shrimp from Calgary that you may want to check out. It is SKA Shrimps here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/notes/ska-s...1387476631481/ Check it out see what you think.