View Poll Results: How often to you test your water?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a day

0 0%
  • Once a week

1 8.33%
  • Once a month

1 8.33%
  • Other

10 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: How often do you test your water?

Club Supporter

How often do you test your water?

Just curious as to what others do. I honestly just used a dip last night - first time I've tested the water in a couple of weeks. I'm usually more neurotic about it LOL! But I've been sick and trying to get the aquariums settled in their new spots.
    “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Loaded question that I can't answer on the poll. Once a tank is established, I rarely test it. Just my weekly water changes of around 50-60%. Now when a tank is newer that is a different story. When its first cycling, I test it daily to see where it is at ( I normally do a fishless cycle though). I am taking care of a tank at the hospital I work at in the peds unit and I am not the one doing the feeding, so I test that one everytime I do water changes (which is every two weeks at the moment since its not heavily stocked), but once the fish are older it will be once a week. I have been having issues with pH with that tank as well (keeps going up) so I was testing it daily for awhile. Still haven't figured out why it is going up, but changing the water every two weeks keeps its fairly stable. Once again, it will be weekly water changes later on once the fish are larger. 55G with 12 malawi cichlids about an inch each.

Club Supporter

I tend to test daily for the first while, then weekly. I wasn't able to do a fishless cycle with the 76 gal due to the situation I was in (emergency switch over from a leaking one), BUT I used much of the water from my old tank. So far the parameters seem to be great. I, too, tend to have Ph issues, but I'm assuming it's my tap water (on a well, not chlorinated city water). Same with my 9 gal. I wasn't able to do a fishless cycle, but it seems to be thriving now, except for Ph...

That's awesome you care for the Peds tank! I bet the kids must love it! I know my 4 year old is crazy about our fish...to the point he wouldn't cooperate with the ophthalmologist this morning when getting his eyes checked. Kept telling the Dr that he loves fishes and wouldn't answer question, D'OH!

It was my first time doing up a poll LOL - I debated adding it...
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

Polls are neat. Just I couldn't answer it the way you wanted it. I do fishless cycles, plus use media from filters in another tank. Most of the bacteria will live on the surface of something in an established tank like filter media. Not much in the water column, so you don't need to use water from your old tank (just suggestion to save yourself sometime next time you set up a new tank).

Club Supporter

I did actually used all the same media pretty much. Didn't realise Didn't need to use the water too - lol - I'm constantly learning. It's actually a part of why I love my aquariums, they keep my mind active. Click here to enlarge
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

Always something new.

ECAS member

[QUOTE= BUT I used much of the water from my old tank. So far the parameters seem to be great. I, too, tend to have Ph issues, but I'm assuming it's my tap water.[/QUOTE]

Like mentioned.Why put used dirty water in another tank;that's all it is.When you say PH issues,;are they up or down?

Club Supporter

Up - usually over around 8.4 or so.
    Marthe Troly-Curtin

That's what mine does at the peds tank at work. Its malawi cichlids, so no biggie. Mine at home (which is the same city water) stays at 7.6. I was told there is no crushed coral in the tank at work. Can't figure it out, but if I do water changes at least every two weeks, it stays at 8.0-8.2. Weekly stays at 8.0. Tap measures 7.6.

ECAS member

I test a cycling tank daily, or close to it to spot trends, then I ease up on it until I rarely test it. Once stabilized I don't check it unless there is a problem that I'm troubleshooting.

Keeping in mind also that I keep generally hardy fish like guppies, bushy noses etc, nothing with a super critical specific parameter requirement.
    Last edited by Vervepipes; 02-26-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Additional stuff

ECAS member

One way to measure carbon dioxide concentration(acidic) in your water is to aerate some in a bucket for 24 hours adding oxygen and gassing it off and then see if the PH rises.If you have plants you will see a lot of false pearling.Your water from its source is likely to be slightly on the harder side than the softer side from my source.In the winter there is a lot more gases in the cooler water.

ECAS member

Very rare do I test the water. My tank has been established for over 2 years now.

I will only test if i notice something is off. Only happened twice in the past 2 years that i can remember.

ECAS member

I change so much aged water on a weekly basis(75-80%);testing water would be useless for me.

ECAS member

On baby discus it is not unusual to change 50-100% water daily,which I have done.