Thread: clown loach getting very skinny

ECAS member

clown loach getting very skinny

I have a clown loach about 10 yrs + old at least 6 in has gotten very thin even with eating shrimp pellets, mixed flake food from Kens and dried blood worms. I think he may have worms all the others are fine I have several loaches in the tank . I was hoping someone on the form may help if they have any levamisole I could get from them to see if that would help him. Any suggestions would helpful. I would hate to lose him I have had him so long and he was a rescue when I got him
    64 gal bowfront community,46 gal bowfront community tank, 40 gal. bowfront tetra,angelfish 33 gal live bearing
    tank, 20 gal holding tank

ECAS member

It's been awhile since I had clown loaches,but remembering back something called "skinny disease".Most seem to never get cured from what I've read.Some believe it to be parasites.While others have tried different meds like the one your seeking and some I have read use prazi and metro,both are in General Cure.Not a whole lot of documentation on clown loach skinny disease.Good luck.

ECAS member

Hi Dorothy,me again.Your clown loach has lived a good age for in a fish tank and a caring life with you.Just reading and 10-15 years is what is expected in a tank.They have been known to live up to 20 years and get a bit bigger in the wild.

ECAS member

when looking at the date I joined I had them well before that. I guess its old age thinning like cats they tend to lose weight as they get old. he is not distressed and is active with the others in his group that are younger newer ones I have added. I lost a few in another tank from ich when I added pet store stock too soon even with the lower dosage for scaleless fish. thanks for the comment.
    64 gal bowfront community,46 gal bowfront community tank, 40 gal. bowfront tetra,angelfish 33 gal live bearing
    tank, 20 gal holding tank

ECAS member

If,next time your loaches catch ich.Use heat 86F and keep it above that a bit for a week and your ich will be dead.The first day or so it may look like it's getting worse,but the next day you'll notice a big difference.Fish can usually do better with heat rather than meds,especially scaleless fish and tetras,for the period of time to cure it.You don't need meds for ich;not even salt.