Thread: LED recommendations

ECAS member

LED recommendations

I'd like to get away from the old fluorescent fixture on my 12" cube.

I need something with enough output for low tech plants...and above all sunrise/sunset timer function (call me crazy, I just think its cruel to snap the sun on and off on our fish)... and oh yes, I'd rather not spend several hundred bucks. :)

The "NICREW" stuff on Amazon is cheap...almost too cheap. Makes me nervous when something which is on 24/7 (half the time when no one is home) pls lacks the simplest CSA or cUL listing.

The newest Fluval Plant Spectrum "Bluetooth" series looks great...but the price is astronomical!

Any other suggestions?

Official ECAS vendor

I'm a big fan of the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. It has a built in programmed 24 hour cycle, easing transitions all day long, from sunrise to bright early afternoon, dimming as you get to sunset and supper time and then further dimming as you get towards the night time and the evening/moonlight. I use them on everything from 120 gallon tanks down to my 20 gallon tanks. I even use them on my shrimp tanks. That said, a Finnex 24/7 would be overkill as I think the smallest they make is a 20" version.

I know several people that are using the Nicrew lights and absolutely love them. Pretty sure you can get an add-on timer for them.
    Buy Tropica Plants Online at Aquascape.Plus

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sitka Click here to enlarge
    I'm a big fan of the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. It has a built in programmed 24 hour cycle, easing transitions all day long, from sunrise to bright early afternoon, dimming as you get to sunset and supper time and then further dimming as you get towards the night time and the evening/moonlight. I use them on everything from 120 gallon tanks down to my 20 gallon tanks. I even use them on my shrimp tanks. That said, a Finnex 24/7 would be overkill as I think the smallest they make is a 20" version.

I know several people that are using the Nicrew lights and absolutely love them. Pretty sure you can get an add-on timer for them.
    How did you source the Finnex lights?

Official ECAS vendor

Amazon.com -- even with the exchange rate and import fees/deposit, it is cheaper via Amazon.com versus Amazon.ca.

One of my recent clients told me has purchased his through eBay.ca. I just ordered a couple of the lights myself via eBay.ca and the prices seem very comparable with Amazon.com, once you factor in import fees and exchange rate.

I use the 24/7 Planted Plus series... NOT the Planted Plus CC (customizeable / programmable series) series. Both have a 24 hour cycyle which works just fine for my needs, so I see no reason in paying extra for a feature I don't need.
    Buy Tropica Plants Online at Aquascape.Plus