Thread: Lighting for Planted Tank that is also useful for SAD

Club Supporter

Lighting for Planted Tank that is also useful for SAD

Hi folks:

My workplace will be doing renovations soon and we will lose the window in our area. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder ("SAD") so this is going to suck!!!

I'm thinking of setting up a 5g nano planted tank.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a light for a planted tank could be gotten that will also work for SAD?

My research on SAD tells me that light in the blue/white range of around 10,000 lux, 5,500K is about what is required. I realize that since this won't be a proper "light box" for SAD it may not be as effective but the combination of the light itself and the enjoyment of a little planted tank... with a happy dwarf puffer... .will also be beneficial to me.

ECAS member

One option for SAD, may be at COSTCO. They have small desk lights there that are "daylight" and they work extremely well. They're LED and on a Gooseneck and you can change the intensity, from really bright (cool white/daylight) to warm light. We ended up replacing lamps in the basement/recroom with them and they really a great addition.

https://www.costco.ca/OttLite-Colour...100431351.html

Now, I dunno if this will work for a planted tank, but if not, you can just get a small NICREW lamp to handle that. This desktop lamp though, may indeed help with the SAD issue.
    Buy Tropica Plants Online at Aquascape.Plus