Thread: Can one use Phosphoric Acid to lower the ph

ECAS member

Can one use Phosphoric Acid to lower the ph

Just a quick question

i just moved and my new well has a ph of 8.6.

just bought some fish and have some currently that their comfort range is 6.0 - 7.5.

fish list
    zebra danios
    Raspboras
    Crossocheilus latius
    Bristlenose pleco
    Beta fish

1) i am thinking about premixing some phosphoric acid (plant ph down) in to a bucket to bring down the ph. thoughts?

note.. this is not an emergency as i was able to use my old house water for the time being.

ECAS member

Good Afternoon
    just an update
    i have currently done 2 water changes successfully using this not saying it will work for everyone just and update on my situation i use 2ml in 5gal water to drop the ph from 8.6-6.8 ish.

Official ECAS vendor

One thng you could try is adding a piece of driftwood, almond leaves or even some peat. They'll release some tannins into the water, which some people like, others hate. But it should help stabilize a lower PH. Malaysian driftwood, in my opinion, makes an awful mess when it starts to break down. Mopani is nice and solid and will sink immediately without having to weigh it down (it's already quite dense). Grapevine Wood you would need to weigh down. But plecos absolutely love it ... at least mine do.
    Buy Tropica Plants Online at Aquascape.Plus