Thread: Local Fish Stores

ECAS member

Local Fish Stores

All

So i am new to this. Have a saltwater tank for just over a year.

In my tank i bought 4 fish from one particular fish store at the start after cycling and a year later they are doing just fine. All 4 are happy campers.

In the last 3 to 4 months i bought 5 fish at differnt times all from the same different local fish store, and each time at the 4 to 4 1/2 weeks time frame the fish are fine one evening, eating and swimming. Then i come home from work next day they are dead. No warning. No gasping the night before, no laying on bottom night before, nothing to indicate an issue to treat for.

Each time they are in isolation tanks.

After the first dead fish i could see no obvious signs on the fish itself. Water was tested all parameters are good. By the second dead fish, i bought 2nd and 3rd types of test kits just in case one was faulty. I have 3 ph meters, 3 salenity meters. Geez i can buy and test no more.

The water is made via RO and the same salt, water, tests are used on my main tank.

I am convinced it is not a water, or flow, or temp or any other possible tank issue.

Last time i bought 2 fish and even had 2 separate isolation tanks and same issue. One fish died 2 days after 4 weeks, the other in another tank, 4 days after the first one died

Only common trait are fish are coming from same LFS.

Reading on fish sickness, this time frame seems to coincide with many sickness cyles so probably the reason for the purchased to death time frame.

Right now, i do not want to buy anything. Very frustrating

My questions are;

Is anyone else having this same result from a particular LFS.....?

When you buy fish, do you automaticly assume they are sick and treat for everything anyway for just in case? They show no sign of it and as i said, even when dead although i am no doctor, show no cause. They just look normal

If by chance others are having same issue from a LFS, where does one buy non sick fish?..

ECAS member

It is wise to quarantine salt water fish for up to six weeks.I don't think it matters what fish store one buys fish,unless it's obvious by looking at their husbandry and their tanks.They all come with the possibility of parasites,bacterial,ect.,no matter what store you get them.The pathogens live in the environment from were they come from whether be tank raised or wild caught.In a tank they just multiply quickly cause of the amount of water in a fish tank and not the ocean where they are more diluted with harmful pathogens.If no quarantine is used,you may want to consider investing in an UV sanitizer.

ECAS member

By the way;I do assume that all the fish I buy may indeed be infected.Many folks will treat even tho no signs of disease.Most common QT treatments for freshwater would be a mix of malachite green and formalin(quick ich) or General Cure.Not sure about SW tanks,it's been many years since I had a SW tank.

ECAS member

Thanks for your thoughts. In future i will too assume all are sick and treat accordinly. Now just need to figure out what combo of medication to use on sw fish. Think i will ask for those thoughts in the sw section of forum.

ECAS member

If a fish dies after 4 weeks, its hard to blame a store. These fish are transported 5000km usually from the ocean, and under go a lot of stress. Once in the pet store they are usually treated with cooper,
    ( which is often very hard on them), then sold. Once sold they need to be acclimated to your tank very well. If not it ends badly. If multiple fish are dying, something is going on with your tank, or tank mates, such as aggression or the fish are stressed. I don't medicate fish for no reason anymore. This causes issues as well. Key is, good water, diet and a stress free life as much as possible. Also depending where and how the stores get your saltwater fish, sometimes they are caught using cyanide which stuns them,making them easy to catch, this can lead to death weeks or months after. Make sure you ask where your fish came from. Some parts of Asia are bad for this. Anyway just my thoughts.

ECAS member

make sure you also test your water in the QT tank for Ammonia, this is a silent killer but is deadly. If the bio-load is too high the ammonia increases and kills your fish. I've seen it happen alot in smaller QT tanks, which aren't always cycled well. make sure you up water changes in the tanks if you think this could be a issue.