Thread: 125 gallon low tech community suggestions

ECAS member

125 gallon low tech community suggestions

I am thinking about setting up a community in my 125 once I clear out my large fish.
    Looking to go with low to no tech for the plants, suggestions are welcome.
    Thinking of a small school of angels and suggestions on what to populate with them.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

I have a low tech 125G running myself.
    I have pool filter sand with crypts, duckweed, anubias and amazon swords.
    I have smaller fish like cardinals, rummynoses, cherry barbs, platies and guppies. Some cories, ancistrus, rabbit snails, zebra snails, kuhli loaches

ECAS member

Post some pics, would love to see.

Also, there are some gouramis, clown plecos and glass catfish plus some smaller bala sharks growing out for my 180G

Here is a video from awhile back before some of my cardinals got eaten.

More recent video

ECAS member

Love it. Looks great

ECAS member

What ate the tetra?

Do you have to dose the plants?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scot Click here to enlarge
    Love it. Looks great
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scot Click here to enlarge
    What ate the tetra?

Do you have to dose the plants?
    I was growing out a red spotted gold severum a bit too long....

I dose with excel when I remember to.

Official ECAS vendor

Looks great. One of the projects I am about to do is somewhat straightforward, but might give you some ideas.

I'm using a 40 gallon breeder. I've already cycled 3 bags of Amazonia Lite substrate. I'm going to slope it towards the back with a couple of "plateu" like features. Using a single Finnex Planted+ 24/7 36" light. The plateaus will be mostly Monte Carlo moss, with some Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and Staurogyne Repens around the rocks I am using as retaining walls to form the plateaus. Perhaps a couple of nice Anubias as well that are strategically placed. I'm going to add a little dash of purple / red / deep green with Ludwigia Palustris which are just awesome plants. The ONLY thing that really "needs" CO2 for good carpeting growth is the Monte Carlo, but my placement of it on the plateaus should mean it will grow as expected in a somewhat low tech environment. I may dose it a little with liquid CO2, but not much.

For livestock, I plan on adding about 150 to 200 yellow shrimp and then about 50 cardinal tetras. I'm thinking, or hoping, that's going to look rather nice in those colours.
    Buy Tropica Plants Online at Aquascape.Plus

ECAS member

That sounds like it will be a great looking tank. I love tetra, they will be on my stock list. Shrimp on the other hand, I have not had much luck with. Maybe an issue with my well water being very high in iron.

Cant wait to get into plants as I never had the opportunity. Always had big cichlids in my 125.

Official ECAS vendor

Scot: Plants can be rewarding -- I find myself quite enjoying watching the plants flowing with the current. Certainly, it beats most of what passes for television these days. That said, it can be frustrating if you find yourself chasing parameters -- some plants are simply hardier than others. My advice would be to figure out what you want to grow, or even if you have a design in mind (there's thousands of them online), and then go from there. That will tell you the plants or styles that most interest you, along with their care recommendations. Personally, I find myself always starting with the substrate I want to use and plan around that.

I'm fairly certain I posted this before. But this is a little project I did to see how it would turn out. There's no CO2 in this tank except when, like Komodo commented, I remember to do it. It has fluorite natural for a substrate (HORRIBLY messy initally... just ridiculously dirty), and the finnext 24/7 Planted+ LED light. That's it. Even the Christmas Moss on the back wall is growing nicely.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

That is a beaut.

If I could have something even half of that I would be satisfied.

I currently have a marineland led on the tank would that be adequate?

I will look into substrate as well, the sand I have now wont do.

Official ECAS vendor

Scot, is the 125 a 6ft tank (72L x 18D x 22H)? You should check if the light is at least 65000K. Full spectrum 7,000K is better. That said, and one thing a lot of people don't consider is the substrate height. If you have plants that require more light and some that require low light, you can actually just build up an area in your aquarium so that it's not as deep for the light to reach. So, consider a design that has some plants with higher light demands in an elevated area, and then place those with lesser light requirements a little deeper.

As an example, you'd be hard pressed to get a carpet of cuba grass or monte carlo with minimal lighting and no CO2 at a depth of 20 inches or so. But, if you create an area that is elevated, like the "plateau" idea I mentioned earlier, you could get it closer to the light.

ECAS member

Great idea and yes it is a 6'

Owner

All the suggestions here are great ones! I look forward to seeing the progress and things transition over. Angels can be quite amazing when you have a group together, watching them interact is quite enjoyable. I would just make sure that if you add tetras in with them, that they are not bite sized as they may become snacks!
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`