Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Brackish tank ...Finally!

Super Moderator

Finally got My brackish tank up and running, Itís a 160 gallon, brackish community tankÖ Still a work in progress but itís defiantly getting thereÖ with some great fish, so far I haveÖ

6- Black Lyretail Mollies,
    6- Silver monoís
    3- Red or Ruby Scatís
    2- Knight Gobies
    1- Columbian shark
    1- Yellow fin shark (itís next to impossible to find info on these guyís look like the Columbian with yellow fins)

Iím in the process of building a 2 tall canopy above the tank, both for decretive purposes and will give place for the crickets to move around as feeders for the 2 King Archerfish that will soon be added to the setup. Then once the tanks been established for a while Iím going to ad in some puffers!

Iím pretty excited about this projects such and all the unique fish Ö

Big thanks to Serge from GetFish, great spot for anyone in the Moncton area who hasnít stopped in to see what heís got itís worth the trip.

Hopefully will have picís coming soon, no internet connection at home though so might be a bit before I get them uploaded!

Devon
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Sounds like a great set up, and suitable stocking... whats the dimentions of the tank?

Super Moderator

Hey... it's 72"x24"x21" (LxHxW). Using a sand substrate with assorted river stones and some fake plants... it's a work in progress... next weekend i'm building the canopy going to try and plant hanging plans and vines in it and screw some branches in place that dip just below the water surface give a spot for crickets to climb so i can watch the archers at work!
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

any pictures?

Super Moderator

I really should take some lol... I'm up to 4 aquariums now and have never posted a pic... I'll try to grab some tomorrow... My GF will be asleep by the time I get home tonight so she'd kill me if i snapped picks of the tank (it's in position as a head board lol)

the stocks changed a bit as well I unfortunately lost one of my archers (working on getting some more to make a small school... I also lost several of the mollies... I believe after giving birth the scat's ate them... this is a best guess since i never found any remains lol.

I also have 4 figure eight puffers, who hunted down and devoured my yellow fin catfish... who was 3 times bigger then them but apparently delicious ...

Now the tank seems to have balanced itself out... nothing's eaten each other in several weeks and the only other thing I plan to ad would be 2 or 4 archers next time they become available to me...

Iíll try to snap a shot of my Snakehead tank and Cichlid tankÖ Iím proud both of them I find they look really good, and the other bichir tank is still a work in progress but itís getting there plants starting to grow in and once they do I might add some tank mates for them..
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

your probably right in thinking the scat ate them... our scat eats everything!
    Sounds like a cool setup. I've always wanted to try mollies in with out monos and the scat but I've been told they wouldn't survive.
    I ended up adding some mummichogs, which have all done very well.
    Can't wait to see some pics once you post them up!
    80 gallon Brackish Mono and Scat, 10 gallon tropical

Super Moderator

Well the mollies seem to disappear only after being pregnant... now i'm down to a pair of them and these 2 seem to be doing fine... I may even introduce a few more in the future... but more importantly is the archers... Cant wait to get my hands on a few more...

and your right scats will eat absolutely anything they can... keeps the tank nice and clean though lol.
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

I have about 15 tanks,but the largest is a 55 gallon(third floor apartment, don;'t know the weight the floors can hold). I have to do an update on my signature sometime since a lot of the bettas moved into the larger tanks for retirement.

Anyway,
    There are no brackish fish at pet stores in freddy and they are really nice types of fish.

I'm trying to get a few brackish tanks set up where I work. I mean brackish tanks, not brackish fish in freshwater tanks. But I think I have to see if there is even a market for them in freddy. Maybe its only just me that wants a puffer and later on some columbian cats.

Super Moderator

I like the unique fish in brackish setups if it's puffers u like there are more fresh water species then brackish ones
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

F8 I can get my hands on for pretty cheap. I am a student and frankly shoudl have no budget for fish, but well, taht does not stop me somehow,lol.
    I would really love to see pics of your caiman too.

Super Moderator

well I snapped a shot... taking that top off it tonight to clean the brown alge off the walls in the tank and to insert the branches... a new heater and new filtration.. but figured i'd snap a shot before i get to work...

Click here to enlarge
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Sorry maybe it's just me but I can't see your pictures in either post.

Super Moderator

Ya just cleared my cache and i cannot see them any more either... i think it's the host site wint let anyone who isnt signed in view them... I'm moving the picks to another site... I'll get it right eventually lol
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Super Moderator

should be able to see all 3 posts now...
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

i see them all.... looks good. Could use a feature piece of wood, something really branchy.

Super Moderator

I have 2 peices of wood that would fit that tank perfectly ( beached driftwood root bunches like in my snakehead tank but larger) but u i feel it would drive the ph down , the branches that i plan to install into the canopy will hang into the water should give the look i'm looking for, i'll be planting potten vines to grow into thoe branches and about 20 mangrove plants which just started poping out leaves.... I will drill holes into th branches at serfice level to hold the mangroves... allowing them to stay above the serice while there roots grown downwards....
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

The wood will not drive the PH down that far.... hardly noticeable. I have had tanks packed with wood, and the ph only changed slightly..maybe by 0.2

Super Moderator

well... lets wait and see... once Iíve put the branches into the canopy that hang into the tank (some half way into the water) Iíll see how it looks post a pic and then decide if Iím adding the tree roots I have ready for the bottom... they are currently soaking to make sure they sink any way ( I was planning to use them in a 240 gallon tank that someone was selling but I was to slow to get it.. damn truckÖ) ...plus if I donít they will be ready for the next tank!
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Super Moderator

Hey I would assume Beachwood (a local hardwood) would be safe for aquarium use... I can get my hands on some AMAZING knotted twisted beyond belief pieces, and in the past with reptiles I have baked they (bark on) sanded and baked again... you end up with a wood piece that has half a dozen color tones in it....

Anyone have any experience with using local wood? Would anything further need to be done to treat the wood to make it aquarium safe ? Baking dries the wood out completely and whipes out any parasites...

just saw a pecie that might go well in this tank and was dabating if i should use it or stick it in a reptile enclosure...
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

any luck with the mangroves? We've tried some but the didn't like it too much... but we ordered them a bit late in the season and they got cold in the mail so that might have done it.
    Your monos and scat look like they have plenty of growing left to do. Great looking setup.
    80 gallon Brackish Mono and Scat, 10 gallon tropical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast