Thread: Figure 8 Puffers

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Hello everyone,
    I do have another thread on here about what I am talking about.
    http://www.eastcoastaquariumsociety.ca/ ... p?id=22048
    I have decided that I would enjoy a figure eight puffer and have had lots of info from many sites and forums.
    One thing I am not exactly getting a straight on sites and forums is feeding patterns. This is the best answer I think I have so far and comes from the thread I started in Monster Fish Keepers

"i fed every day when he was < 1", then every 2 days till about 2", then every few days at 2"+. i only gave him food till his stomach was just a small bump. most people will feed and feed till it stops accepting food, which will take a while. i think this is where the exess waste comes from... rediculously overfeeding. i also took out any uneaten food. "

I am just looking for someone to agree with this or add something to it. I do have a snail colony, live crickets, canned caterpillars and shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, krill, tubilex worms, shrimp pellets, mealworms, brine shrimp, many different types of flake and pellets, steak that I feed my turtle and newts sometimes. I am going to start a cherry shrimp colony soon and I do have a guppy tank with lots of babies.

The one puffer will be in a 10G brackish tank for now until later where it will get something bigger. Once I confirm a price, I am going to set up the tank and put some pictures on here to get some input.

Let me know anything you can. Thanks

and Happy Thanksgiving

New Question!
    Good Morning everyone.
    I was just had a filtration question.
    I have a 15G stringray filter in the 10G right now. I was wondering if I should change that to something more powerful. I have an AC50 I could put in there. Would that be a good idea or would it just blow the little guy around too much?
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

ECAS member

Hey komodo. Looks like your doing a lot a research. I'm not sure about other fish, but as you see there is a lot of vague and or contradicting information about puffers. You kinda have to take everything in and make an educated decision. I've come across the same feeding schedule as you and I would say its pretty good. My only advise would be to watch for their feeding "viciousness". If there a little lazy and expecting the food, maybe a little less, and if they race like a bat out of hell, maybe a little more. Also it looks like you have a lot of good food for him. He may not take to the shrimp pellets or tubliex worms, and flakes, but everything else is good(maybe not the steak). Be careful with the crickets I think one of mine had a blockage once (same with melissak) from them. It took about a month to heal/pass and his "anus" was swollen. All better now.

I used to feed my puffer everyday, then I got another one and noticed how FAT mine was. I talking rolly polly here. Since then I been regulating there eating habits and he's looking more normal, but still fat.

*do you have a lid on the tank? I have green spotted puffers, and they are jumpers sometimes, so I would hate for you to find one on the floor if f8's are jumpers too.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your pics. Here's a quick vid I made of mine eating some store bought shrimp if you wanna check it out. I hate the set up of my tank, but here it is

Mike

ECAS member

I get my filter sizes mixed up, but I think the ac50 would be good. If you put in a couple of things to break the flow and for him to hide, it should be good. Also I don't think you can use the regular ammonia remover insert, you have to get the bio-max stuff (little white nubs). I think salt clogs the other stuff.

Thank you for the reply.
    I do have a canopy. I have to cover some wholes with tape on both sides like I did for my newt tank. I have a question about your video. Is that a shrimp from like a shrimp ring at a grocery store or is a jumbo shrimp from a grocery store. It looks like they really like it.
    I thought of a new question.
    I go home for Christmas and leave the apartment. My other fish and reptiles I have solutions for feeding while I am gone. But is there anything I can do for the puffer. I go for a week or so. Also, will water condition be a problem?
    Any idea about my filter question?

Thank you :)

I was replying and did not see your filter reply.
    I do have some biomax stuff as well in the filter. Its set up with a sponge on bottom and carbon. I can put some biomax stuff on top. Isnt that just for bacteria to grow on though?

ECAS member

Hi Tom, I keep Figure 8 puffers here at the store. I feed them every other day and never the same thing twice. Here is what I feed my puffer (fresh and brackhish) and have great success with them. Bloodworms, pre-cooked shrimp, raw shrimp ( I usually throw the tails in), mussels, freeze dried shrimp, snails and the odd feeder comet. The biggest thing is to not overfeed them. You need to make sure you feed them snails or other hard shelled foods to wear down their teeth. You can use a pourous rock and smear some raw shrimp or mussle on it, this way the puffer will shave it's teeth by scraping the food from the rock.

As for filtration, I am using sponge filter, and HOB on different tanks. The most important thing regarding with puffers is water quality. They do not tolerate ammonia and nitrites at all. You need a well cycled aquarium before introducing the puffer. The Stinray filter will work just fine, as long as you keep the tank clean and remove any uneaten food. Your bacteria will grow on the sponges in the stinray filter, and there should be two small bio cartridges in it.

If you go away for a week, you might need someone to come in an feed your puffer a couple of times. They get thin very fast if you don't feed them every other day. Just make sure that you have amount of food to feed ready, this way the person feeding will not overfeed the puffer.

Serge
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.

Thanks for the info Serge. I do hope to visit you store sometime. I am just rarely in Moncton. It sounds like you have lots there.

The vacation time is for Christmas and everyone I know goes home at Christmas. Is it possible to leave feeder guppies or small feeder goldfish in there for the puffer? or will it be a pig and eat them all the first day? That's what I do with my turtle,lol.
    My reason for wondering if I should trade filters, is my 35G convict tank has an Ac70 filter and an AC 50 Filter running on it right now. I was thinking I could put the AC 50 in the puffer tank and put the Stringray in the 35G with the Ac70.
    I also just bought some freeze dried bloodworms at work last night, so thats another source of food.
    I have some clay pots, I was wondering if I should just put them in, or break them a bit to make a tunnel?
    Do you know how wide F8s get? I can only find length online.

Thanks

-Tom

So here is the thread I decided to run everything on. It has my updated pictures.
    If you could let me know if I put too much stuff in there for the puffer that woudl be great. I wanted to make sure he would not be bored and I think I put too much in there.

Heres the link

http://www.eastcoastaquariumsociety.ca/ ... p?id=22048

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

ECAS member

You could put some guppies in there for sure. If the puffer is that hungry, it will definitely eat a guppy. I shouldn't eat all of them at once. I keep guppies in with my puffers. Some go missing every now and then.
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.

ECAS member

From what I've seen online the bodies look like they're about 2-3 inches wide and about 2 inches thick.(little wider than thicker) when they are full grown. If you decide to put any guppies in there I would get just one, to see if he likes them. Unless you think more will entice him to eat one. my gsps' never did. As far as going away, you could get an electric feeder....but when I went away I just froze some food into ice cubes and got my neighbor to come over and dump one in each day.(she got a kick out of watching them eat). Also the water should be fine for a week. the lower the salinity the less evaporation that happens, so a week should be fine. if you have somebody coming over, you could leave a bucket of fresh water for top ups. I don't know why sites say they are difficult to take care of, they're really pretty easy. (but sometimes you get a bum fish)

The shrimp you saw in the video was a jumbo store bought shrimp(in a plastic bag for 6ish dollars). It was way too much shrimp for them, but i just did for the video. If you have a variety of food don't buy the huge packs, they last forever and get freezer burned. That one shrimp could have fed them for a week. Also mine really like muscles(don't get the ones with butter). my suggested food size is something the size of your last pinky knuckle up or smaller.

Lastly, I think your tank looks great. Puffers seem to be more floaters and observers than fish that need to race around. and he has lots of things to explore. If you like keeping plants, you could probably grow some java fern and java moss, just don't be surprised if you wake up one day and it looks like someone look a whole punch to your java fern.

oh I lied, I'm going to say one more thing. I just want to say that if I could find the right home for my green spotted puffers, I would get a couple of f8's with either some knight, bumblebee, or dragon gobies.

hope you had a good thanksgiving, i just got off work and I'm off to bed. Good morning and goodnight

thanks for teh replies. I just have to do some thinking now :)