Thread: figure 8 puffers are acting very shy

ECAS member

Looking for advice..

I got 2 figure 8 puffers a year ago. They were never really sociable but the last cp of weeks they barely come out from hiding. They look great - nice color, round bellies, bright eyes, etc. The only time they come out from their hiding spots is to eat. The water parameters are fine amonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites well under 20, ph close to 8, temp around 78 degrees F. Any suggestions on how to get them to come out more? We would love to see the little guys and we want them to be happy.

Thanks
    Love man not less, but nature more

ECAS member

I forgot to add, they are in brackish water @ 1.005ish salinity. I feed them bloodwarm and krill (frozen) with occasional treats of shrimp and very rarely lobster (lol their fav).

ECAS member

We had mollies in with them when we first got them but the mollies would get the food faster than the puffers as the puffers are slower eaters. This is only a 25g tank too so I don't want to overcrowd. I can try a cp of mollies again in there now that the puffers are bigger. No, they don't swim around very much at all but do come out to eat. Like I said, they are not sickly looking, nice rounded shapes on both of them. I can try the "cave" effect, that may work. I haven't had much luck with plants in the brackish water but I have some fake ones in there. I may put more of these in. We are looking at moving to another house and if we do I will be able to upgrade this tank and have some other fish in there with them.

Thanks so much for your help.

Super Moderator

I have 3 figure eights in with 2 black lyre tailed mollies and 2 knight gobies, and i find 1 puffer hides alot, one is ALWAYS out un the open the 3rd moves around depending on it's mood lol, all housed in a 30 gallon. They are very curious creatures, i find keeping alot in the tank, and rearanging things once and a while get's them going, they are alwasy out checking things out lol,

I feen mine mostly prawn/shrimp , I go through alot of it with the snakeheads, and i toss the tails into the brackish tank, they love picking away at it, now when i come into the room they are all front and center to see if i have shrimp in hand lol,

I found with floating food including dried krill/mysis, ect, that the mollies got most of it, it helped to toss it into the HOB current , (incase you ad mollies again)

but I would say if they hid enon stop they might not be sick but ant happy, maybe try the cover on the back and sides, new decorations and even a 3rd puffer, i think they do better in groups,
    I also keep mine at higher temps 82ish, and higher salinity since they lived a long time with my monoís and scats at 1.014, itís gone down since to about 0.010 now.
    From what iíve seen i think yor salinity is spot on, might up the temps a bit see if that gets them more active,
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

I will try more shrimp, it may be the "fish candy" I need for them. I did have the temp a bit above 80 and turned it down gradually because I thought maybe that is why they were hiding. I will raise it again and add a cp of mollies this weekend. Any chance I can see a pic of your brackish tanks? I'd like to get more ideas on how to decorate it for the puffers.

Thank you for your thoughts!

ECAS member

I added the mollies, it made the puffers even more timid at feeding time. After a week I took them out and rearranged the tank and added another fake plant. They have been out from their caves a lot more since then. I made a little hidey place for them at the front of the tank by repositioning a piece of driftwood. They seem to really like it and it is at the front of the tank so we get to see them in there. A larger tank (55g) is in the plan for them for the future.

ECAS member

Good to hear that they seem to be doing good :)
    Look forwards to a picture or two if you get the chance Crissy
    "Fish recognize a bad leader." Conan O'Brien

ECAS member

For dither fish, you can keep female guppies in with them. I find they like to go after and eat the male guppies, especially the ones with red and orange on them. I have them in a 30 hex tank with some base rock, tall plastic plants. I also keep bumble bee gobies and 3 Empire Gudgeons in with them. My little guys are always out and about.
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.

ECAS member

I'd love to have some bumblebee gobies but I haven't had much luck on finding them locally (Halifax to Liverpool)

ECAS member

I have them here 5$ ea. and can ship them out as well.

Serge
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fish4life
    I have them here 5$ ea. and can ship them out as well.

Serge
    oooooo can you pm me with shipping details and cost? I'd take at least 4.

Thanks