Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish foods

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Hello,
    I am just wondering what everyone uses as fish food for their fish ?
    What are some ingredients to look for and some common ingredients to avoid?
    Protein, fat, fibre, mositure, ash, and omegas levels?

any information would be great :)

Obviously it will vary between different fish species,lol.

If we can aim at it, I would like to know for goldfish, sharks, livebearers, bettas, pimodella blochii and angels since that is what I keep :).

I do use omega one foods right now mixed with bloodworms, tubliex worms and fresh fish, steak, chicken breast, etc from the grocery store. So I don't just use flakes and pellets alone. But just looking for some opinions.

Thanks everyone

PS- This thread idea came from a post I saw on kijiji tonight about high quality fish foods and wheat flour was the first ingredient which seemed odd to me, but then again, I do not know my fish foods as well as I would like.
    Also feather meal was something I never thought to see....anywhere,lol.

Thanks again.

Lets hear some stories and try to avoid fighting haha

Fish food is not something I really thought about when I started keeping fish when I was about 3 haha
    and it also has not been something I thought about since living in a small town without internet means you only have so many opinions.

Now that I am in freddy with 4 pet stores that I can name at the top of my head, there are opinions. Also having the internet and a credit card helps too haha

I am hoping there will be none of the "that food sucks" crap. I am hoping for " I feed "whatever" because "amazing awesome answer"

Thanks everyone

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182
    I am hoping there will be none of the "that food sucks" crap. I am hoping for " I feed "whatever" because "amazing awesome answer"
    Do "bad words" always get turned into "mulm" on this site?

If so, that is cool!

ECAS member

In any decent food the 1st four or five ingredients are the main ones. They make up the bulk of the protein level of the food. About 80% of protein is absorbed where as only 5 %to 15% of carbs. Carbs also produce tons of mulm compared to quality high protein foods.

They should start with a fish meal, shrimp meal, white fish, wheat germ, soya bean meal, spirulina....corn, wheat flour, chicken feathers are fillers, and poor sources of protein
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graham
    In any decent food the 1st four or five ingredients are the main ones. They make up the bulk of the protein level of the food. About 80% of protein is absorbed where as only 5 %to 15% of carbs. Carbs also produce tons of mulm compared to quality high protein foods.

They should start with a fish meal, shrimp meal, white fish, wheat germ, soya bean meal, spirulina....corn, wheat flour, chicken feathers are fillers, and poor sources of protein
    I knew I would get a reply from you :)

what if the fish food has a bunch of fish listed instead of fish meal. It does not have them as a meal, it has then with the water. the first 5 ingredients in the food I am using are types of fish.

Wheat appears down the road and so do some vitamins,spirulina, kelp and preservatives.

I didn't think feathers would have that much protein in then.

My pimodella blochii love the omega one shrimp pellets and I want to make sure its a decent food as well. :)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JessiesFish
    I use all HBH products for my assorted fishies. I like to see at least 40% for protein content.
    Found a cheap seller on ebay. Last shipment we ordered 1/2 lbs bags of Cichlid frenzy flake, African attack pellets, Betta pellets and shrimp pellets. All came to roughly$34. This guy has the info on each type of food in his posts.
    http://shop.ebay.ca/your_fish_stuff/...=p3911.c0.m489
    good prices
    does that include shipping?

the flakes I use are 41% protein,11% fat, 2% fibre,8.5% moisture,8% ash,.5% phosphorus, 2% omega 3 and 1% omega one

3/4 of a pound for 25.99 and tax at the pet store.
    first 6 ingredients are types of fish

ECAS member

I feed all of my tanks New Life Spectrum...Derek's Reef Shop here in Moncton carries it for good prices.

is derek's just salt water fish?

ECAS member

is derek's just salt water fish?
    For livestock yes, just marine fish and corals. Dry goods though he carries NLS food (for fresh and salt water) and Prime water conditioner which I haven't been able to get anywhere else in Moncton....

http://www.dereksreefshop.ca/store/

thanks
    I am heading to moncton on sunday
    but I only have fresh water tanks myself.

ECAS member

thanks
    So did I, before I checked out Derek's store... ;-)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnB
    thanks
    So did I, before I checked out Derek's store... ;-)
    haha

i'm a poor student that is moving in about a year or so haha
    so salt is not an option right now

good pick up line though

ECAS member

We have NLS Food in stock for Freshwater fish. We also have it in stock in Halifax, Fredericton and soon Saint John. New Life Spectrum is the best on the market. Check their website for you to see http://nlsfishfood.com/ Colors of your fish will pop out more, they will be more healthy also. If you are coming down on Sunday, please call, text or email me first. We are not normally open on Sunday's, but I will open it up for ya. We also have buckets for you to refill your food for $3 cheaper than regular price. Pellets go for $20 and Flakes are $12.95, minus $3 for refill. Can't beat that price for the quality of food it is!!

John, thanks for promoting us, come and see us and I will give you one refill of your food.
    Derek's Reef Shop
    1035 B Main Street
    Moncton, NB www.dereksreefshop.ca - info@dereksreefshop.ca

I was hoping to avoid advertisements here since there is a spot for this kind of stuff in another thread.
    Why is it the best on the market. Real answer, not just generic answers from the supplier please.
    Why do they use typical ingredients instead of stating what is in each food? Why is wheat flour so high on the ingredient list?

Hoping for some non generic answers without advertisements. Thanks

ECAS member

I was hoping to avoid advertisements here since there is a spot for this kind of stuff in another thread.
    Why is it the best on the market. Real answer, not just generic answers from the supplier please.
    Why do they use typical ingredients instead of stating what is in each food? Why is wheat flour so high on the ingredient list?

I have been reading Cichlidforum.com for probably 6 or 7 years now. The biggest reason I started feeding it is because I would say 99% of the people on that forum, some being very knowledgeable hobbyists, recommend NLS as the best food to feed to your fish....

Why they list what is typical ingredients form what I understand is because most of their formulas contain the same ingredients, just in different portions...

Sorry for promoting Dereks on your thread but I guess it's not much good telling people what type of food I feed if they have no idea where to get it...

I have been reading Cichlidforum.com for probably 6 or 7 years now. The biggest reason I started feeding it is because I would say 99% of the people on that forum, some being very knowledgeable hobbyists, recommend NLS as the best food to feed to your fish....

Why they list what is typical ingredients form what I understand is because most of their formulas contain the same ingredients, just in different portions...

Sorry for promoting Dereks on your thread but I guess it's not much good telling people what type of food I feed if they have no idea where to get it...
    I'm just looking for reasons to feed a certain type of food, Not that everyone does it so join in.

I was not aiming at you about the advertisement. No problems with someone stating where to get food. Having hours stated is not needed and out of context in my mind. This is a discussion about foods, not about pet stores so there is no need for hours of a random store. Imagine if every pet store did this on this thread. Listing the foods they have for sale, the prices they have for those foods and their hours of operation with some generic statement about the food from a website.
    It would be a pretty long thread and it would defeat the purpose of this thread (at least in my mind).
    I started this because like most pet foods, not everything is as it seems. Just wanted to know what foods people use and a good reason why. Not because everyone else does.

I chose Omega One since all my fish love it. I tried it randomly and never switched back. My sharks love the bloodworms and krill, my catfish love the shrimp pellets and algae wafers. My bettas love the pellets, bloodworms and flakes. My goldfish enjoy the goldfish pellets. My water does not go cloudy if someone over feeds my tank (unlike some tetra brands I have used). This could just be in my mind, but it appears that my fish enjoy the food more than the different brands I used to use. This could be because they are in larger tanks now and therefore have more space to swim and would need more energy since they are more active, but whatever works.

All in all, my fish like it and so do I. Its easy to pick up locally and for a decent price. What more could I ask for?

I think I did get the message from this thread. Avoid having poor protein sources like wheat flour in the top 5 ingredients is something to avoid.

Thanks everyone

ECAS member

The Omega one looks like a decent food as well...notice two wheat products quite high on the ingredient list as well though...I know when researching dog food that this was described as splitting grains and that the combined wheat content would then be much higher on the ingredient list...

INGREDIENTS: Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

ECAS member

The Omega one looks like a decent food as well...notice two wheat products quite high on the ingredient list as well though...I know when researching dog food that this was described as splitting grains and that the combined wheat content would then be much higher on the ingredient list...

INGREDIENTS: Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
    Also, here is the 'typical ingredients' for NLS. Notice that the NLS has Krill Meal and Herring Meal, where Omega one has Whole Salmon and Whole Herring.

Let me quote a dogfoodanalysis.com in describing a dog food which contains a whole meat product and a meat in meal form which is already dehydrated:

"The first ingredient in this food is a named meat product, in meal form. There is a second meat ingredient third on the ingredient list, and fresh fish products further down the ingredient list. These are, however, inclusive of water content. Once this is removed, as it must be to create a dry food product, the ingredients will weigh around 20% of their wet weight, and may be more accurately placed further down the ingredient list than indicated. With a meat product in meal form heading the ingredient list (i.e. already dehydrated) we can continue to have some confidence in the meat content of the food."

Typical Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

weird, different ingredients than the stuff I use
    first 6 are types of fish proteins.

There are wheats in it, but they are after the fish proteins.
    What type of omega were you looking at. There are lots of types just like any food.

That splitting thing applies to a lot of things like corn gluten meal and ground yellow corn. Neither of these are in the foods we are talking about

One good thing about both of these foods (applying knowledge from dog food here) that the wheats are not in meal form. This means water is also included meaning that even though Wheat flour is including, its not wheat flour meal and it contains water :) This means some of the ingredient is water.

Also, here is the 'typical ingredients' for NLS. Notice that the NLS has Krill Meal and Herring Meal, where Omega one has Whole Salmon and Whole Herring.

Let me quote a dogfoodanalysis.com in describing a dog food which contains a whole meat product and a meat in meal form which is already dehydrated:

"The first ingredient in this food is a named meat product, in meal form. There is a second meat ingredient third on the ingredient list, and fresh fish products further down the ingredient list. These are, however, inclusive of water content. Once this is removed, as it must be to create a dry food product, the ingredients will weigh around 20% of their wet weight, and may be more accurately placed further down the ingredient list than indicated. With a meat product in meal form heading the ingredient list (i.e. already dehydrated) we can continue to have some confidence in the meat content of the food."

Typical Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.
    So that makes the food I use at least 6 larger parts fish protein compared to two smaller parts wheat as a protein.
    That makes me happy.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast