Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish foods

ECAS member

http://www.omegasea.net/medium_cichlid_pellets.html

Omega One medium cichlid pellets...I just google it...

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Never tried the cichlid stuff
    I dont have cichlids haha
    I used the freshwater flakes for my statements.

ECAS member

Looks like a good food. You're right, the wheat is much further down the list.

I don't think the comparison between a meat in meal form and wheat in meal form is exactly accurate though as I don't assume the initial moisture content is as high in wheat as in meat products..I'm just assuming on this though...

I cant find an analysis for the NLS foods. Maybe I just dont know how to use their website.
    I was wondering about the crude protein percent and stuff like that.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnB
    Looks like a good food. You're right, the wheat is much further down the list.

I don't think the comparison between a meat in meal form and wheat in meal form is exactly accurate though as I don't assume the initial moisture content is as high in wheat as in meat products..I'm just assuming on this though...
    Its the best I can come up with haha
    I dont know the chemical make up of these foods haha
    if I did, I don't think I could do much with it haha
    nothing is stated of how much of each protein source is used in the foods.

All, I can really do is treat it like dog food since I do not know what fish are looking for food wise (protein levels, fat levels, fibre, omegas, etc). Most pet store employees I have spoke with normally says something alone the line of the food we have is great, your fish will love it or something like that.

Hence, the post here. Hoping to get something generalized. Obviously, it is going to different with species. Needs of a catfish would be different than a goldfish which would be different from a cichlid.

All I can tell so far is the foods stated here are much better than the ones I have used in the past haha.
    Nutrafin, Wardley, Tetra.

ECAS member

You want as much high protein meals or foods in the top 4 or 5 ingredients as you can get. Wheat and corn flours are binding agents and offer very little protein aa they are mainly carbs. Wheat germ is better than a flour as it's around 25 to 30% protein about double what the flour is.

This a little part of an article by Chris Neaves, a fish food manufacturer....

Here are a few feeding facts which are usually ignored or not understood.
    Warm water;
    Lipids have double the energy of Protein.
    Protein has 4.5 times the energy of carbohydrate.
    80-90% of protein is absorbed.
    5-15% of plant carbohydrate is absorbed (cooked starch in feed doubles this to10-30%).
    For energy 10 gram of protein feed = 135grams of carbohydrate (cooked starch).
    The protein produces 10% solid waste.
    The carbohydrate produces 70% solid waste.
    In warm water we can see why high carbohydrate feed is very inefficient and why or ponds are so dirty. In cold winter water things get
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Can't find it either...I will try to remember to post it later. I'll post the numbers for what I have anyway. Fresh water flakes, Marine flakes and cichlid pellets...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graham
    You want as much high protein meals or foods in the top 4 or 5 ingredients as you can get. Wheat and corn flours are binding agents and offer very little protein aa they are mainly carbs. Wheat germ is better than a flour as it's around 25 to 30% protein about double what the flour is.

This a little part of an article by Chris Neaves, a fish food manufacturer....

Here are a few feeding facts which are usually ignored or not understood.
    Warm water;
    Lipids have double the energy of Protein.
    Protein has 4.5 times the energy of carbohydrate.
    80-90% of protein is absorbed.
    5-15% of plant carbohydrate is absorbed (cooked starch in feed doubles this to10-30%).
    For energy 10 gram of protein feed = 135grams of carbohydrate (cooked starch).
    The protein produces 10% solid waste.
    The carbohydrate produces 70% solid waste.
    In warm water we can see why high carbohydrate feed is very inefficient and why or ponds are so dirty. In cold winter water things get
    So that is why I noticed a big difference when using Omega One from the other foods I used when someone over fed them. ( I am not always here to feed my fish).
    I used to use foods that where high in plant material like corn and wheat and then the tank would be very nasty when I made it back home haha.
    Thank you

Can't find it either...I will try to remember to post it later. I'll post the numbers for what I have anyway. Fresh water flakes, Marine flakes and cichlid pellets...
    Awesome, its not a big deal. I was just going to try to get some averages frankly. Since things I have been reading online vary in what they suggest.I figured if we got a few foods that have decent ingredients, we could get the general idea.

ECAS member

I won't type it all out, but the first ingredients on the jar of New Life Spectrum Optimum Fresh H2O Flakes are:

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic,...

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein:(Min) 49%
    Crude Fat:(min) 8%
    Crude Fiber:(Max) 4%
    Moistur:(max) 9%
    Ash:(max) 10%

ECAS member

I will tell you why I love NLS and it is the only dry food I carry. When I got into this business, I get fish in from Tranship. Tranship is from out of the ocean to my supplier which he does not open the box at all. Slaps my address on there and puts it on the next flight for Moncton. So these fish have no idea what is dry food. I would be loosing a big percentage of stock because I could not get them to eat. I tried all foods, even a well known Ocean Nutrition. Then someone (Kat) mention to me about NLS. I tried it, and it was amazing the results. Obviously, there is a smell or tast that attracts these fish and they don't lose their color because of a bad diet. Even Corals eat the food when it falls on them.

If you ever come to my shop or see any of the Tanks I have in Hotels, you will see how much these fish are healthy. The reason why. NLS and good quality water.
    Derek's Reef Shop
    1035 B Main Street
    Moncton, NB www.dereksreefshop.ca - info@dereksreefshop.ca

Thanks for the analysis John

ECAS member

I forgot to mention...I also feed frozen Mysis shrimp to my marine fish and some corals at least once or twice a week..

Ingredients: 100% Mysis relicta

Guaranteed Analysis (from dry weight)
    Crude Protein 69.5% min.
    Crude Fat 8.35% min.
    Crude Fiber 2.75% max.
    Ash 5.5% max.

I'm not sure if this stuff is widely available...I get this stuff from Derek too...Click on the photo in the link to see the actual package...

http://dereksreefshop.ca/store/produ...roducts_id=741

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazy4bettas
    The only reason I have never tried NLS is because they don't make a betta formula. One of your questions Komodo was about betta food. I have fed all kinds of betta foods, and the one that I keep coming back to (other than frozen or live foods) is Atison's Betta Pro. Now, I realize that it's expensive and hard to find (needs to be ordered online from Betta Breeders Canada or the International Betta Congress, or, if you're lucky you'll find some on E-bay), but if you want the best, that's it. Of course, doing frozen or live foods is better, but most people don't want the hassle of that if they aren't breeding or showing bettas

My second favorite so far has been NutraFin betta pellets. I never feed flakes simply because they seem to foul the water too much. A very close third is Hikari Betta Bio Gold. I find this to be basically as good as NutraFin but significantly more expensive. Not a problem if you have one or two bettas, but when you're feeding 50 it's a problem :big:

I have also tried the HBH and find the fish don't do nearly as well on that - the pellets are large and the fish lose their luster. I also have a half pound of Ken's Betta Pellets which are OK, but again, the pellets are large and the fish have a hard time breaking them down. I do not find they lose luster on these pellets though.

I stay well away from Wardley's. I tried this brand once and ended up throwing the whole bottle out after only a few feedings. The fish ignored it and it fouled the water.

The brand I recently acquired is Aquarian Betta Pellets and haven't tried it on my fish yet. When I do, I'll update my post :)
    I just bought 16oz of frozen hikari bloodworms today haha
    I will see if they like them haha

ECAS member

Fish is one of my Favorite food. when ever i have time i went on beach for fishing you can say that fishing is my hobby.

ECAS member

I won't type it all out, but the first ingredients on the jar of New Life Spectrum Optimum Fresh H2O Flakes are:

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic,...

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein:(Min) 49%
    Crude Fat:(min) 8%
    Crude Fiber:(Max) 4%
    Moistur:(max) 9%
    Ash:(max) 10%
    I am agreed to the mentioned analysis..
    You are right..

I did not find a lot of info about the food stated above, but the one I did find with ingredients has corn gluten meal and that is enough for me to avoid it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12