Thread: figure eight puffers

ECAS member

I have a 25-gallon aquarium, and someone told me that I should be able to keep two figure eight puffers in there as long as there are plants to break their line of sight so they can each establish a territory. The tank is just now ready to go, and I'll add fish in the next couple of days. Could anyone please advise as to whether it would be alright to keep two figure eights in that space?

Super Moderator

yes, more than enough space for the puffer's, I keep kept 3 in a take that size, (now 2 because of a filter accident!) they live along with a lyre tail molly, and a couple knight gobies,

i suggest you go with a well decorated tank, fake plant's (only because it's tricky to grow in brackish) some rock's caveís whatever suit's you, i have never seen aggression between puffer's, they will nip at any tank mates who show color, but not each other, they do enjoy a "busy tank" they seem very curious, I mix the tank around, you see them exploring all the time, and when i notice they arenít around much anymore Iíll mix things around again, they seem to grow bored, and once they have seen everything they get lazy and hide all the time.

HOpe that help's great little guy's are great, and VERY tough compared to what i read, they are heatrty , just need a VERY well cycled tank, that seem's to be the weak spot they dont last at all unless a tank is fully cycled.

When you say tank's up and ready do you mean full of water, ? manually cycled? what has been done

if youíve cycled the tank without fish somehow, my suggestion would be to buy a few molly's first, go with black /grey color's and they can stay in the tank with the puffer's, you'll want to let the mollies take the "rough start" out of the tank, they are tough and will be fine through the spikes in the tank as it matures, do regular water tests, and when you go a month or so without any spikes in the parameter's then introduce the puffer's.

if you havenít cycled there are several way's to do it but it is an absolute MUST to keep a puffer alive, my personal favorite and fastest method is do an "instant cycle", ie fill the tank with water, turn on the new filter, ad molly's then dump the dirty water from someoneís filter into your tank, and if they will let you steal a bit of there media and stick it (still dirty) into your filter if they will spare it!) I'm sure someone on here with a brackish tank and would be local enough to help,

if not then there are various other way's of cycling but you'll want to start with mollies, as the process would likly kill a puffer, I always do the instant cycle, in fact the only reason i have my little brackish tank was to keep my hand's on some cycled brackish media
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

My tank has been running for two weeks with healthy, dirty fish water from Aqua Nation added to it. Ammonia spike has passed, and all levels are stable.

Super Moderator

perfect, and it's brackish... what are the salt levels at ?
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Super Moderator

if your salt levels are good and your sure on the cycled you should be good to go!
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Uh... precisely in the middle of the range where Matt (at Aqua Nation) told me they should be. Really, I don't remember the specific gravity, but the level was perfect last night.

Super Moderator

well then you sound ready, they seem to love interesting decorations, flashy color's , tunnels, shape's, and i got tired of the snail thing, min feed mostly shrimp, and the odd mussel cracked but shell on , the random sea food to keep variety. Normally when Iím at sobes Iíll ask for 1-2 and hey donít even bother charging! but they seem to enjoy the challenge of the shell and it's good for their beaks,
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

The food will definitely be something interesting for me to figure out, being vegetarian and all. I have a ridiculous supply of trumpet snails in my other aquarium, but otherwise I'm clueless with a lot to learn.

ECAS member

I have a hydrometer, and thinking back to last night, it was at 1.007.

Super Moderator

that's a good level for the salt, i still suggest sticking a few mollies into the tank, letting it run with fish in it, see if it remains stable before adding the puffer's. if it's running without fish then the bacteria die off and there is no bio load thus can apear very stable, , when you ad fish bio load will increase, this will cause the spikes, puffers are VERY sensitive to this , and they also produce alot more waste then fish making any spike even more sever, so start with mollies to cut back the risk of killing your puffers.
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Did you have any fish in the tank besides only the dirty water? Another thing is that I don't understand how you got an Ammonia spike if you were using established water.

If you don't have any fish in it, your beneficial bacteria will be useless after 2 weeks. You need to cycle the tank with some brackish fish like mollies or guppies. If you add the puffers in the tank, you will get another spike because they are so messy and take a chance of affecting the puffers health. Here is what you should do.

Get some Brackish mulm, add 3 mollies and a half dozen guppies. Let the tank run for at least a week while monitoring the water. Only add the puffers once the tank is 100% cycled. This is what I do with anyone that wants to purchase puffers here at the store. Their tank has to be established and I don't let the puffers leave the store until I get a water sample from the tank.

As for food for the puffer, any snail will do as the puffer doesn't try to break the shell. They go for the snails plate and body. Shrimp (raw, pre-cooked, freeze dried or sundried), scallops, mussels, blood worms and brine shrimp are a good diet.

Good luck with the F8's, they are a great little pet. Just make sure your salinity doesn't get above 1.010 as they will not tolerate it for very long.
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.

ECAS member

Thanks for the advice. I'll drop by the store and see what they have in the way of mollies/guppies on my way home.

The ammonia spike was from initially filling the tank with treated tap water. A couple of days after, I got a bag of dirty filter water from the store and then everything smoothed out.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by soybean
    Thanks for the advice. I'll drop by the store and see what they have in the way of mollies/guppies on my way home.

The ammonia spike was from initially filling the tank with treated tap water. A couple of days after, I got a bag of dirty filter water from the store and then everything smoothed out.
    hard to have an ammonia spike from tap water considering that there is no ammonia in it. What you saw was the chlorine registering on the ammonia test kit, giving a false reading. The chlorine would have dissapated in a day or so...hence no NH3 reading.

Depending on the water they gave you it may have ''seeded'' the bio-media or not. If it was brown sludge then it seeded the media, if it was clear water, then it did not. Then you left it for 2 weeks which would have let the bacteria die off to some extent....basically the tank is not cycled for any fish load, let alone something sensitive like puffers.

Do as Serge suggested
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,