Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrimp on sale...

Super Moderator

when I read the above, and i ignore the daily value junk since that's for human consumption, but the rest should at least give an idea,

From what i see the only thing that would concern me with cooked is the lack of Vitamin D, and a Vitamin D deficiency would effect an animal's ability to use calcium it absorbs, ie bone development.

So feeding only frozen long term, especially in growing animal's wouldnít be advised, but as part of a varied diet I would say it's far from junk
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS Ambassador

cool that's good info, and i agree that there is alot of facts out there with no evidence to back them up, good job as that really shows the differences between the 2, and thanks for the information as i will be able to pass this along to a friend of mine now
    ďIf you do not like your experience, then you must change the nature of your conscious thoughts and expectations.Ē

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

but it does have a lot of cholesterol......

New question, anyone use UV bulbs or direct sunlight haha

Problem solved if that is the only thing it lacks.

Super Moderator

I'm not so sure this will work with Fish the way you are thinking it will.

They arenít like turtle's who bask in the sun and get the Vitamin D, although i'm sure then can produce some amount of Vitamin D in this fashion, in a tank they would have to be within inches of a florescent bulb to gain any positive effect. Considering in the wild most fish donít chill out at the surface absorbing sunlight itís much more likely they depend on their food source to provide the majority of the necessary Vitamin D.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I'd think fish would work more like a nocturnal animal does and I almost completely dependent on absorbing of vitamin D from its prey.
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

That is something I cannot answer without experiments nor can you answer. Right now, we just make a hypothesis. I do not know the hormones of a fish that are released. I also do not know what how far UVB light will travel through water to break a bond in cholesterol. Can't say must without those.
    Either way, I don't use shrimp as a food source.

Super Moderator

I wouldnít trust light to compensate for the Vitamin D myself because from what iíve learned I donít believe it would work, I've done the research the bulb's (florescent tube bulbís) are just not powerful enough for a significant difference , even through air let alone water, not even touching on if the fish will stay in the light or not... If youíre looking into larger setupís with Mercury vapor bulbís or something more powerful then ya the light concentrationís would be there but would the fish sit out in such a bright light ?

I thought you were asking for an answer not an argument, you can research it and come to your own conclusion's if you'd like that's far too complicated with far too many variables for me to type out..

As for not using shrimp, good for you ? Putting aside that a few posts back you said you've been feeding it for over 10 years.....

it's completely up to you and everyone else what they chose to feed, I'm just sharing what Iíve found on the subject since it was brought up then people can decide on their own not to convince anyone one way or another...
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Devon, I'm not arguing anything,lol
    I am just saying I can't answer anything since I am lacking info. I never said I would not use raw or cooked shrimp haha.

All I said, is I don't use it for a main food source , if you want to go ahead. All my fish and turtle get some type of weekly seafood treat, be it cooked or raw since raw shrimp are hard to find in freddy or scallops (their fav so far) or whatever.

Super Moderator

When you said I cannot answer i took it as your getting a bit defencive on the subjest, guess i miss-understood.

Have you tried sobies, I've never been to one tha doesnt sell frozen cooked and raw, they dont always have fresh raw, but frozen normally in a freezer somewhere
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

I think thats the problem with the internet, things get taken wrong. What I meant, is I do not know. I cannot answer. Lacking info on the psychology of fish. I'm sure it would also depend on the type f fish as well. Lots of different things that I do not know the answer to. However, old saying-better safe than sorry, so if you are not sure on something, its better to go with the safer option-in this case raw shrimp.

Sobeys is where I go since students save 10% if they go there.
    I have not got frozen before due to another subject I do not know a lot about-thiaminase. I've heard that frozen crustaceans do carry levels of this enzyme since it is not destroyed during freezing. No data to back this up and have not looked for any really since I went with the better safe than sorry theory haha. It's also one of the reason I avoid goldfish and rosies as treats since I do not know how long thiaminase lasts in the body,etc.

What I have read (very little) is that some shrimp do contain thiaminase and some don't. That is why I have not tried frozen shrimp since I don't know how long it has been frozen and how much vitamin B1 has been drained if you will and the theory once again-better safe than sorry. It is also one of the reasons I have used shrimp as treats only (once a week if that) since I do not know if there is this enzyme in the shrimp through its life.

Sometime, I will have some spare time to look up some of these things and maybe find some journals about it.

My main problem: I don't know enough yet haha

ECAS member

Well......Anyways. I cant wait till the bulk oysters deals start comming out in winter...Im gonna try feeding them raw oysters.
    I like the fish more than the hobby.

Super Moderator

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/ ... minase.htm

I have also read this, like in the link above, although thiaminase breaks down when heated, so if you stick to cooked shrimp you dont have to worry about it lol, I only statrted using frozen raw shrimp with my fish tanks, i dont feed any frozen raw seafood to my reptile's because so many contain thiaminase.

just goes to show a varried diet is important,
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

I have also read this, like in the link above, although thiaminase breaks down when heated, so if you stick to cooked shrimp you dont have to worry about it lol, I only statrted using frozen raw shrimp with my fish tanks, i dont feed any frozen raw seafood to my reptile's because so many contain thiaminase.

just goes to show a varried diet is important,
    Definitively agree with the last statement :)
    I made a mistake according to that website. Gave raw Scallops. My bad.

ECAS Ambassador

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by clydesmith
    Well......Anyways. I cant wait till the bulk oysters deals start comming out in winter...Im gonna try feeding them raw oysters.
    lemme know how they like it i would like to try that clyde
    ďIf you do not like your experience, then you must change the nature of your conscious thoughts and expectations.Ē

Super Moderator

I've given a number of thing's on that list to my fish, as long as it's part of a varried diet no harm will come of it,
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Super Moderator

i've fed oyster's messy but they love it lol
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

I will have to try oysters this year
    We spoke of them in my parasite class today.

ECAS Ambassador

Sobeys has shrimp on sale... a 106 count of uncooked de-tailed for 6.99 and cooked shrimp (forget the count) for 9.99 and its buy one get one free!!
    Threw a couple thawed uncooked in the tank..... they went wild lol
    Bingo

Super Moderator

oh good, was going back today to check if any was on sale, just ran out from the last sale lol
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS Ambassador

Ha, i kinda felt bad when i was feeding my fish Shrimp and Zucchini. Knowing that my fish eat better than most other people on my street including myself lol.
    Bingo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12